Here we are again folks! Another recipe! So, I'm just going to apologize in advance, but I've been in this Christmas mood...yes a Christmas mood. I know! Call me crazy, but it's the truth. You know that saying it's time for Christmas in July? Well that's definitely the case with me for just like the past couple of days. Nothing too huge, I've only been listening to the Michael Buble' Christmas CD and a few of Amy Grants Christmas songs as well. But, that's it. I promise! I've limited myself to just those two artists. I don't want to get too carried away or sick of Christmas before it's even here. Just a little while longer and I'll be done with the whole Christmas in July mood. Alight here's the recipe. It's one of my all time favorites.
Grandma Nan's Peanut Brittle
Have ready in a small bowl:
1/4 cup (1/2 cube) butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
In a Large Bowl:
About 3 cups raw Spanish peanuts
Also have ready two buttered Jelly-roll pans.
In a large (you'll see why) heavy pot (I use my 8 quart stock pot) put:
Candy thermometer (can't do with out one)
3 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 1/4 cups white Karo syrup
Stir (I use a long-handled wooden spoon) together and bring it to a boil over high heat. Stir just a little after it starts to boil to get any remaining sugar crystals to dissolve then don't stir any more. Continue to cook on high head until 232 degrees on the candy thermometer. Add peanuts and continue to cook and now stir constantly until 305 degrees on the candy thermometer. Remove from heat and add butter, salt, baking soda, and vanilla. Mix this all in until the butter is melted. The pour out, as evenly as you can, about half on on buttered jelly-roll pan and the rest out on the other pan. Nan uses a marble slab, but we do it this way and it seems to work out fine. Spread candy out on the pan as best as you can and even pull at it (butter your fingers) a little to reach into the corners of the pan. It will stretch for a bit until it get too cool. After you are done let it sit and cool. Then after it is cool break into pieces and ENJOY!!!!!
This recipe is a family favorite. We crave it every Christmas and really can't get enough of it. Well actually that's a lie, it's pretty much all we eat all Christmas long then when the Holidays are over we've pretty much had enough until next year rolls around. Anyway I hope you guys try this recipe out. It's so delicious and SO worth making. Word of caution or advice. Do not leave the kitchen or have ANY distractions while making this it is something you don't want to mess up and need to keep you eye on the entire time. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment