Thursday, July 12, 2012

Comm 111 Post #7

Alright, so for all you folks out there who have ever wondered how to shop accordingly to the different seasons and what different types of fruits and vegetables you can use for your delicious meals, your days of wondering are now over! I saw this wonderful thing on Pinterest a while back that has a chart with different foods that are in stock during the different seasons. Perfect right?! I'd say so. It's even more perfect in that I've been dying to have pomegranates since January and they will be in stores all through August-October! Yes, my life has been made. I'm not sure if you can see what's under each category the picture's kind of small. To help I'll list the foods under each category.

Spring- Apricots, artichokes, asparagus, grapefruit, green onions, leeks, lemons, lettuce, maple syrup, mint, mushrooms, parsley, radishes, rhubarb, spinach, spring onions, strawberries, and wild greens.

Summer- Apples, avocado, basil, bell peppers, berries, carrots, cherries, cilantro, cucumber, eggplant, figs, garlic, green beans, mangoes, melons, nectarines, okra, peaches, peppers, summer squash, tomato's, and zucchini.

Autumn- Arugula, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, collards, chile's, cranberries, curly endive, fennel, grapes, kale, lemongrass, limes, pomegranates, pumpkins, shallots, swiss chard, and winter squash.

Winter- Beats, belgian endiv, cabbage, clementines, escarole, horseradish, kiwi, mandarins, onion, parsnips, pears, pommelos, rutabagas, sweet potatoes, and turnips.

There you go, now you have a list of some of the seasonal fruits and veggies that you can cook with and obviously eat. I hope that was helpful to some of you who have ever wondered when things are in season. I know it helped me, that's for sure. Now go have some fun and cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment